We would like to wish you all a Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year.
It has been a reasonably busy year for the Perth Morris Men and by the time the year is over we will have danced in public on fifteen occasions in WA as well as two interstate events. The National Folk Festival at Easter as a “busking” side and the following weekend in Adelaide as guests of the Adelaide Morris Men at the English Morris Ring meeting. This is how our year unfolded:
- “Down South Tour” – Australia Day long weekend – visited Bush Shack, Duckstein, Cowaramup & Colonial Breweries
- Perth Medieval Fayre – 16th of March
- Guildford Heritage Festival – 24th of March
- National Folk Festival – Canberra – Easter
- Morris Ring Meeting – Adelaide – 5th to 7th of April
- Gloucester Park – Best of British – 19th of April
- Sovereign Arms – St George’s Day – 21st of April
- Woodvale Tavern – St George’s Day – 23rd of April
- Fairbridge Festival – 27th of April
- May Day in Kings Park
- St Ives Aged Care Murdoch – 17th of July
- Gracewood RACF – 31st of July
- Little Creatures Beer Launch – 12th of September
- Fund Raising Sausage Sizzles at Bunning’s Claremont on 6th of October and 9th of November
- Combined Covens Social Club – 13th of October
- Zig Zag Festival – 27th of October
- Growers Green Farmers Markets – 1st of December
So it is time to relax and put our dancing feet up to recover ready for next year which may be equally busy as we celebrate our 40th year!
All the best for the season from the Perth Morris Men
The Perth Morris Men were recently visited by Alan Whitbread who is a member of the Shakespeare Morris Men. Alan is also a Shanty singer and will be attending the National Folk Festival as a performer and also the Morris Ring Meeting in Adelaide.
To find out more about the Shakespeare Morris Men see http://www.shakespearemorris.org.uk/ and for more about Alan see http://www.alanwhitbread.co.uk/ and for his Shanty Crew see http://www.sharpasrazors.com/
The Perth Morris Men and the Mad Tatters Morris have just completed another “Down South Tour” to the Dunsborough Margaret River region. We visited the following places
- Dunsborough Shopping Centre/Dunsborough Hotel ( http://www.thedunsborough.com.au/ )
- Bush Shack Brewery ( http://www.bushshackbrewery.com.au/default.htm ) from 12:30 to 2 PM
- Duckstein Brewery ( http://www.duckstein.com.au/index.php/margaret_river )
- Colonial Brewing Company ( http://www.colonialbrewingco.com.au/ ) from 11:30 to 12:30
- Cowaramup Brewing Company ( http://www.cowaramupbrewing.com.au/ )
- Margaret River Chocolate Factory ( http://www.chocolatefactory.com.au/ )
We were made to feel welcome by the breweries that we visited and the audience was enthusiastic as well.
Often singing and Morris dancing are associated. Sometimes as part of a dance but also after and during performances. One of our number recently did a bit of research on the net to find some song books and found the below gems:
The Perth Morris Men were visited by Kennet Morris Man Brian Jones who was over here on holiday in November 2011. He attended a practice and also joined in at Kalamunda on the 6th of November when we danced there.
(click on image to enlarge)
For the side that Brian normally dances with see http://www.kennetmorrismen.co.uk/
Brian or his family took some videos of our performance at Kalamunda that day. They are on youtube and can be accessed by clicking on the links below:
Well the Perth Ale for 2011 which was prompted by the decision to tour by the Adelaide Morris Men has been a great success.
Mike James, Squire of the Adelaide Morris Men in an email said “Thanks to all the Perth people for organizing an excellent weekend. We had a fantastic time. Well done to the Adelaide guys for drinking all their beer.”
For a report on the Swan Valley aspect – see AMM PMM FMOP_SwanValley2011byBP and for an excerpt of the Squire’s Report about the weekend see Perth Ale 2011 – an excerpt from the Squire’s Report Also check out the September AMR Newsletter at AMR Newsletter
And for some photos go to Perth Ale Photos
For the Adelaide Morris Men”s Blog – see http://www.adelaidemorrismen.com/2011/09/adelaide-morris-return-to-perth-august-2011/
Attendees were requested to submit a limerick – see AMM_2011 for some from the Adelaide Morris Men.
It’s not Morris but another dancing group asked if I could mention them on this web site.
Rose & Wattle Country Dancing from the 16th. century to the present day.
Gentle exercise for the body and brain. Come with a partner or by yourself.
Beginners welcome. To find details call Karen as below.
Ph. Karen 0439 844 024 or email email@example.com
At our recent practice on the 21st we had a visit from David Jordan who dances and plays music with the Ashdown Forest Morris Men. See Ashdown Forest Morris Men for the side that David is with. As a memento of the occasion David presented everyone with badges of the Ashdown Forest Morris Men. See below: